Tuesday 8 February 2011

Twista talks about "Is That Your Chick?"


Last year, Twista had an interview with Vibe.com and told them the history about a couple of his track. One of them was the Timbaland produced track "Is That Your Chick" by Jay-Z feat. Missy & Twista.
Check out the parts where he talks about that song:

That song had a crazy history. That song first started in the studio with Timbaland and P. Diddy. Diddy liked the beat a lot, so he let me hear it. He told me to write a song for him to it down the line, Jay-Z either heard the beat or he heard the song that Timbaland played for him, with me on it, with reference to Diddy. Diddy passed on the track or whatever, so Jay got the track and called me to get on with him. He already had Missy do the hook and did a verse. When they called me to come to New York it was a big thing to me. When we got to the studio, I heard the beat and I was like, damn, that’s the same beat I did the song to for P. Diddy.

The way I did it for Diddy was me being Twista the writer—I can’t remember how the original hook went. When I came to do it for myself, I totally switched the style on them. I just wanted to tear the track down because I was on there with Jay and I wanted it to be something big. The hook is really what set me off to be able to write the verse and go in a different direction. That used to be difficult but by the time I did that song I was at a level where I can totally eliminate that song from my mind and make a whole ‘nother song to that beat. And I can do it a third time.

I might’ve heard somebody mention it [was subliminally about Nas] before. You know, they were throwing shots back then before the union, so it’s no telling. I was just concentrating on dropping a classic verse on a Jay-Z song when I had the opportunity.


props to edwin from the Danja blog

3 Comment(s):

Barnaby said...

Straight ETHER!!!

Kody said...

That was one of the craziest beats Timbaland ever made. It was another one of those Matrix type beats from 1999. It was so out of this world that it just couldn't fit on Jay-Z's album. I was glad that Jay gave it to Memphis Bleek and Timbaland tweeked the beat and added some more sounds to it. I wonder did Missy produce it with Timbaland?

miguel said...

dope track