Saturday 31 October 2009

Chris Cornell turning Scream into a Rock Album..

Photo Courtesy of Tom W.

Well its looks like Chris Cornell has bowed to pressure of his fans and decided to turn all his Scream tracks into a more rockier version. According to this article, as much as possible was done to 'De-Timbaland-ize' the tracks from Scream. Here is the rock version of "Never Far Away".


Never Far Away (Rock Version)


Is this version better? I personally prefer Timbaland's version, although this maybe bias...
Although Chris Cornell is still signed to Mosely Music Group, this makes it very unlikely that Timbaland will be producing more albums with Chris.

What do you think of this?

Props to The Pestilence

22 Comment(s):

CMI said...

I think the Original Scream Version is much better. The Rock version sounds only like a average 'Rock Song'.

Tom1506 said...

Totally agree, the psycadelic feel and easyness of the tracks is what made them special, The elegance of some of the beats instead of a heavy guitar riff is what seperate it from usual rock. Hopefully it may help sell for Chris tho?
And look who took such a wonderful photo :P mwahah

Anonymous said...

Tim's version shits all over this...

Sir Thulsa BOOM said...

In my opinion, Chris Cornell is a bitch for caving into public opinion..or rather what his fans would expect of him. I wouldn't call Scream selling out. I'd call it experimenting and if you ask me its not a bad listen. I just think it fell on deaf ears because it lacked the proper promo and most people who knew about it were earlier Chris fans or Tim fans but I feel like the general public were oblivious to its existence and this CD was that one that was supposed to gain him a new audience but due to Interscope and MMG's muck ups, no luck there, sonny boy.

French Guy said...

Thats really really BETTER than JROC prod ! definitlywaaa i like

Anonymous said...

This is a slap in the face! Fuckin disgrace! Chris Cornell is weak. I guess judging by Chris Cornell's body language on stage, he was never happy with the album. It's fucking disrespectful to a legend like Timbo in this business!

These are rock fans for reason yes but their taste in music is left to be desired, still living in their shitty grunge bullshit clothes. Cant fucking stand them!Why dont they fuck off back to the 60s. If they cant see the fresh sound Timbo brings to this genre, then they know fuck all about music.

Kenny From Astro said...

Mosely is actually spelled Mosley.

Anonymous said...

Me being a HUGE Soundgarden/Audioslave fan growing up, I liked the album Scream w/ Timbaland just for experimentation purposes. A one-time deal. I was hoping this would be the case, that Chris and Tim would only collaborate on this one album. Listening to Scream, Tim's contribution was cool and all, it sounded good, but honestly all I could think about was Chris' voice over a rock track not pop-techno. It's nice to see Chris shifting gears back towards his rock roots, where his voice belongs. I mean honestly ya'll Chris has an 'original' rock voice that should only be over rock tracks. He should have never deprived himself from that genre, the Scream album should have simply only been a one-time experimentation album as a means of taking a break from Rock for a minute. But now it's time to get back... Good choice Chris, good choice...

Anonymous said...

but i do agree w/ Anon11:05 above Chris is weak. I mean it waas Chris' idea to put out a psychedelic/pop/techno album with Timbaland, if he wasn't happy with it afterwards he should've backed out the deal.

And Tim is original and always brings something new to the overall sound of music.

Kenny from astro said...

This is one of those topics where a discussion and argument shall last forever, we are talking about two entirely different genres here, how would you feel if Timbaland made a rock album?

There is no point in saying which "version" is better because he's loyal to his fans so he made a rock version to compensate what his long true fans have enjoyed from him from all his previous albums, you can't bash on the man for doing what he wants to do, it's his life, not ours, if he made a mistake, then that's on him.

As for myself, I think these two albums are nothing to be of discussion of, because the entire fan side of Chris Cornell would rather enjoy his rock music other than his pop album.

Just like some people don't like country and others do, its because of the sound coming out of the music.

Our ears appeal to certain sounds and sequences, and in this case, Timbalands sound and delivery.

Davidprimer said...

Come on Chris! This is weak!!

He shouldn't remake Scream. He should make a new album!

He really should shame himself.


Scream prod by Timbaland album is ma favourite album of all time! This Rock Version fucks it all up IMO. I really thought Chris was strong for changing to pop with Tim. But now I lost my confidence in hem! I even saw him live thanks to Tim! If Tim didn't work with him I wouldn't have know him!

Goodbye Chris RIP

Anonymous said...

You can still mix both genres! Why do u think producers like Timbo and Danja stand out more than others because of their ability to see beyond boundaries and come up with something different. Why listen to the same old bullshit? Music these days lacks that creative spark, that special something that makes me stand up and say WOW! What you hear nowadays is copycat shitty bands/artists stuck in history. You just have to turn on the radio to see there's no talent, no creativity. In fact these stations, keep playing top 40 shit and old classics. This is one of the reasons why the industry is dead!

Read what Timbo and Danja say in their interviews to see how they want to change the spectrum of music in terms of creativity and that is something to be appreciated. Some of these so called music fans are unfortunately too ignorant to see in a positive limelight.


I was more of rock fan many years back especially from the UK when I only listened to rock bands like Oasis and Stone Roses. I obviously like different genres now and that is thanks so to someone like Timbaland. I'm not ignorant so much to see him as only a hip-hop/pop producer unlike these non-ambitious people. For me he's more than that and that's why he is king!

Kenny from Astro said...

I understand where you are coming from, but most people here would have NEVER listened to Chris Cornell unless Timbaland was on the album. I understand you can mix two genres in one, for it has already been done for years now, from hiphop to drum N bass comes dubstep, from pop to rock comes powerpop, It's funny how people who listen to Timbaland think that HE is the one who sets the standard of music, when in reality, he listens to "OLD" classics and several different types of music including underground music to introduce it to the mainstream, You've yet to realize that Timbaland is only the "King" when it comes to pop music, have you ever began to listen to other major genres of music? Like Electro? Trance? Hardstyle?

There is no such thing as the worlds "greatest" music producer, if that was the case, tim would be producing the best tracks of any genre.

Timbaland is a great producer, but don't you think for a second that he is the one making up all the ideas on his own, he's merely just keeping his ears open...

Haze said...

Man I am a rock fan, I like this song but Timbo's version is far better... I personally think his fans are grounded within one genre and drastically different genres they automatically do not like.

And kenny i strongly disagree, this should be discussed. I think ppl can choose which is better or not, timbo crafted this album and Chris is creating a new version cutting out Timbo and I will bash on him for that.

And let's face it Chris going solo wasn't exactly big and I have been a fan of Chris (more as in Audioslave) for a long time, even before I was a fan of Timbo... And i haven't been interested in his solo work until "Scream".

And thanks for picking out a slight spelling mistake kenny... Always appreciated :D

Frederick said...

You guys type too much! I disliked the remix, but at least we still have the original to go by. I agree with the first Anonymous: "Tim's version shits all over this..."

Unknown said...

Correct me if I'm wrong but what I gathered from the article was that the rock remix was put together by someone else, not Cornell himself.
So I dont think its right saying Chris is weak, Chris is this, Chris is that, etc.

Lauren said...

Trent Reznor will hate it regardless :/

Morghulis said...

Timbaland DID do somewhat of a rockish album. The first shock value had his experiment tracks with the genre. You have One & Only, Throw It On Me, Time, faaaack dude his rock beats were ridiculous. One and only is still a good pump up jam. so much energy!

Frederick said...

Wrong, Rune. The vocals were apparently re-recorded. Hard to say, based upon that fact, that Cornell wasn't involved.

Alex said...

It's a more natural sound for Chris, but it's a boring, generic rock track to me.

Anonymous said...

I hate when fans don't appreciate a musical transition of an artist sound. Chris obviously wanted to do something new and different and I am totally addicted to this cd. I was like WOW! His voice just melts into Timbos beats and it becomes this energy that totally consumes you. I love the original and I hope he does some other things with timbo.

Anonymous said...

He is not, these rumors are false..